Monday, April 1, 2013

Cloud Storage Solutions

I have recently been looking into lots of different cloud storage options.  I have tried several, and I have found my favorite.  First let me say that I am only considering free options.  I don't need that much storage space because my NAS is accessible remotely via the internet.  For my use the cloud will mostly be used for sharing large files with friends.  My two favorite sites for product reviews are PCMag.com and TopTenReviews.com.  Both have published articles this year reviewing cloud storage companies.  SugarSync and DropBox are two that both sites rated highly.  However, these two options only give you 5GB or less for free.  5GB isn't very much, even as little as I use it.  Microsoft's SkyDrive is another option, giving you 7GB for free.  I have found it to be very user friendly.  My personal favorite, and the product that I use is from Yandex.  Yandex is basically the Russian version of Google, and they have been producing some very solid products.  Yandex.Disk is their cloud storage option.  New users get 10GB for free. (Technically you get 3GB until you install their software and upload your first file).  If you have been referred by another user via link, you start with 11GB.  You also have the option to increase your storage up to 20GB for free by referring friends.  Aside from having some of the most free storage, Yandex.disk provides a desktop app for Windows that will sync whatever folders you choose to your cloud storage.  The app is simple and easy to use; a very elegant solution.  If you have ever used Google's Drive software, it is very similar.  Another necessity for me is mobile applications.  Yandex.disk has android and iOS apps.  (In fact, most apps by Yandex are very good.  I also use their mail service).  The android app integrates seamlessly with the share button on your device.  iOS users will be able to access their disk files via the app too, but run into problems if you want to edit or upload them.  For example, QuickOffice, which is one of the only office products for iOS only has a deal with specific companies like MobileMe, Dropbox, Google Drive, Egnyte, Box.net, Huddle, SugarSync, Evernote, and Catch.  These are the only options that come up when you try to sync a QuickOffice doc to the cloud.  Unfortunately because of the tight way Apple controls how software integrates, users who plan on editing and uploading documents will probably want to choose a different solution, like SugarSync.  For anyone wanting to try Yandex.Disk, please use the link below.  You will receive an extra 1 GB for following the referral link, and I will get an extra 500MB for each referral.  Thank you.

https://disk.yandex.com/invite/?hash=OS8C6PPY 

Click here for additional information from Tom's Hardware.

No comments:

Post a Comment